HRIDAY Scheme - National Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana
The HRIDAY Scheme offers tremendous opportunity towards an integrated, inclusive and sustainable development of some of the heritage cities/towns in India.
Heritage City Development and
A country’s heritage retells the story of the past. Climatic conditions and man-made damages have gradually become a threat to these sites.
To prevent the damages and boost tourism, the Ministry of Urban Development has launched the HRIDAY or Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana.
This scheme aims to revitalise the soul of India’s heritage and sustainably preserve the heritage cities. Keep reading to learn more about this scheme.
Candidates can refer to the table below for more information:
|Name of the scheme||HRIDAY|
|Full form of the scheme||National Heritage City Development And Augmentation Yojana|
|Date of launching||21st January 2015|
|Government Ministry||Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs|
What Is the HRIDAY Scheme?
HRIDAY scheme, or the National Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana, was launched on 21st January 2015 by the Ministry of Urban Development, India.
This scheme targets the all-inclusive growth and development of heritage cities. The Government offered a budget of ₹50 crores to complete this project within 27 months.
The HRIDAY scheme supports the improvement of heritage-linked infrastructure. They aim to revive the urban infrastructure of localities or areas near a heritage or religious site.
This would attract more tourists and contribute significantly to the economy.
HRIDAY Yojana also improves the drainage, sanitation, water supply, roads, waste management, street lights, citizen services and other tourism requirements in the selected cities.
Let’s check the objective of this scheme in detail. This will help understand how this scheme works and its benefits.
What Is the Objective of Heritage City Development And Augmentation Yojana?
Individuals should know that the main objective of this scheme is to uplift the spirit of the HRIDAY cities and implement urban development.
Nevertheless, these are objectives of the Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana.
- Implementation, planning and development of sustainable heritage-based infrastructure
- Infrastructure provisioning in core areas of a heritage city
- Apply urban planning methods and technology for historical structure retrofitting
- Construct public amenities such as toilets, transportation service, street lights, water taps and other conveniences
- Preserve and invigorate historical monuments or structures which establish a city's importance
- Using ICT tools to spread awareness about these cities and implementing CCTVs to ensure maximum safety of tourists and structure
- Promotion of perceptible economic activities to improve livelihoods of residents of a heritage city
- Encourage foreign and local tourism
Let’s check the HRIDAY scheme cities list to know where mentioned objectives have been implemented.
List of Cities under HRIDAY Scheme
The State and Central Government and cultural Ministry have selected 12 cities under the Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana.
Individuals should know that residents of cities under the HRIDAY scheme will get job opportunities. Moreover, the Government will preserve the culture and heritage of these cities.
Nevertheless, the selected cities are-
This is all necessary data on HRIDAY and cities selected under this scheme. Individuals can check the official website to know the progress and tourism potential of selected cities.
- HRIDAY is a central sector scheme, where 100% funding will be provided by Government of India.
- INR 500 Crores have been allocated to the scheme.
- It seeks to promote an integrated, inclusive and sustainable development of heritage sites, focusing not just on maintenance of monuments but on advancement of the entire ecosystem including its citizens, tourists and local businesses.
- Central government will meet the entire expenditure under the scheme.
- But, the states and local urban bodies are requested to supplement their resources for rapid development of heritage cities.
- The project will work through a partnership of Government, Academic Institutions and local community combining affordable technologies.
- The 12 cities selected for the scheme are Ajmer, Amritsar, Amravati, Badami, Dwarka, Gaya, Warangal, Puri, Kanchipuram, Mathura, Varanasi and Velankanni.
HRIDAY Scheme Important Aspect :
- The scheme will be concentrating on the augmentation and development of the heritage cities in India. There are 12 cities which will be listed for the augmentation at the first phase. The cities are Varanasi, Dwarka, Kanchipuram, Ajmer, Amritsar, Gaya, Mathura, Puri, Warangal, Velankani, Amravati and finally Badami.
- The development will be held on different issues like infrastructure, roads, staying, security, food, electricity, water supply and various other amenities. All these things must be better in their own way so that the visitors can enjoy their stay during any occasion or holiday.
- The entire scheme or project will be funded solely by the central government. The total span of time for the project to be finished is 27 months from the time of commencement of the development process.
Gov. Funding For City Development
The entire scheme was funded by the central government. The total budget allocated for the project is Rs. 500 Cr.
HRIDAY Scheme Advantages
- The heritage cities are one of the many reasons why every year people from all over India visit the country. Under this scheme the cities will get more exposure and better quality of tourism.
- The development of infrastructure and other amenities of these 12 cities will enhance the quality of life of the inhabitants of the cities. Not only the travellers but also the citizens of the cities will get a better life.
- The augmentation project will bring about more and more global tourists in India and that will lead to a better tourism system in India.